This line leads to the Mayflower!
Descendants of Richard or William de Haw
Raymond Gordon Hawes, Edmond Hawes and His American Descendants: Edmond Hawes (1608-1683) o f Yarmouth, Massachusetts and Some of His American Descendants Through Thirteen Generations , Baltimore Maryland, Gateway Press, Inc., 2000. Available from Raymond Hawes, author: email@example.com
Generation No. 1
1. RICHARD OR WILLIAM1 DE HAW.
Child of RICHARD OR WILLIAM DE HAW is:
2. i. JOHN2 HAW, b. 1371.
Generation No. 2
2. JOHN2 HAW(RICHARD OR WILLIAM1 DE HAW) was born 1371.
Child of JOHN HAW is:
3. i. THOMAS3 HAW.
Generation No. 3
3. THOMAS3 HAW(JOHN2, RICHARD OR WILLIAM1 DE HAW). He married (1) CATHERINE. He married (2) MARGARET? 1390.
Child of THOMAS HAW and MARGARET? is:
4. i. THOMAS4 HAW.
Generation No. 4
4. THOMAS4 HAW(THOMAS3, JOHN2, RICHARD OR WILLIAM1 DE HAW). He married JOAN 1415.
Child of THOMAS HAW and JOAN is:
5. i. THOMAS5 HAWES, b. Abt. 1440.
Generation No. 5
5. THOMAS5 HAWES(THOMAS4 HAW, THOMAS3, JOHN2, RICHARD OR WILLIAM1 DE HAW) was born Abt. 1440. He married ANN GRESWOLDE 1465.
Child of THOMAS HAWES and ANN GRESWOLDE is:
6. i. THOMAS6 HAWES, b. Abt. 1465.
Generation No. 6
6. THOMAS6 HAWES(THOMAS5, THOMAS4 HAW, THOMAS3, JOHN2, RICHARD OR WILLIAM1 DE HAW) was born Abt. 1465. He married JOHANNA RAINSFORD Abt. 1500.
Child of THOMAS HAWES and JOHANNA RAINSFORD is:
7. i. THOMAS7 HAWES, b. 1500.
Generation No. 7
7. THOMAS7 HAWES(THOMAS6, THOMAS5, THOMAS4 HAW, THOMAS3, JOHN2, RICHARD OR WILLIAM1 DE HAW) was born 1500. He married ELIZABETH BROME 1527.
Child of THOMAS HAWES and ELIZABETH BROME is:
8. i. WILLIAM8 HAWES, b. 1531.
Generation No. 8
8. WILLIAM8 HAWES(THOMAS7, THOMAS6, THOMAS5, THOMAS4 HAW, THOMAS3, JOHN2, RICHARD OR WILLIAM1 DE HAW) was born 1531. He married URUSLA COLLES 1562.
Child of WILLIAM HAWES and URUSLA COLLES is:
9. i. EDMOND9 HAWES, b. Aft. 1562.
Generation No. 9
9. EDMOND9 HAWES(WILLIAM8, THOMAS7, THOMAS6, THOMAS5, THOMAS4 HAW, THOMAS3, JOHN2, RICHARD OR WILLIAM1 DE HAW) was born Aft. 1562. He married JANE PORTER Abt. 1600.
Child of EDMOND HAWES and JANE PORTER is:
10. i. EDMOND10 HAWES, b. 1608, Solihull, Warwickshire, England.
Generation No. 10
10. EDMOND10 HAWES(EDMOND9, WILLIAM8, THOMAS7, THOMAS6, THOMAS5, THOMAS4 HAW, THOMAS3, JOHN2, RICHARD OR WILLIAM1 DE HAW) was born 1608 in Solihull, Warwickshire, England.
Notes for EDMOND HAWES:
Edmond Hawes was born in Solihull, Warwickshire, England in 1608, and was baptized there in t he parish church 15 October 1612. Solihull is a parish about 7 miles southeast of Birmingham . Edmond's English ancestry is traced in great detail by James William Hawes in his genealogy Edmond Hawes of Yarmouth, MA, an Emigrant to America in 1635 (New York, NY, 1914). His parents were Edmond and Jane (Porter) Hawes,of which Edmond was the third and youngest surviving son.
Hillfield Hall, located in Solihull, the ancestral home of the Edmond Hawes line was though t to have been purchased by Thomas Hawes about 1465. Over the eastern tower doorway is a stone panel with the initials WHV (William and Ursala Hawes) and the date 1576, the date they re built the manor house. The manor house is currently a fine restaurant with the stables converted into two pubs.
Robert Hawes, a soap boiler from London, was the first known Hawes to arrive in the Colonies . He settled in Salem, MA in 1635. Edmond arrived on the ship James out of London in 1635 and eventually settled in Yarmouth. Richard, born in Buckinghamshire England in 1606, arrive d in America on the ship Truelove, also in 1635 and settled in Dorchester, MA. Original y a resident of Salem in 1635, Thomas moved to Yarmouth in 1639. Edward is first noted in Dedham in 1648 when he married Eliony Lumber. William settled in Boston in 1652. Although statements have been made that some of the above were brothers, there is no proof that any of them are related.
Child of EDMOND HAWES is:
11. i. JOHN11 HAWES, b. Bef. 1640; d. November 11, 1701, Barnstable, MA.
Generation No. 11
11. JOHN11 HAWES(EDMOND10, EDMOND9, WILLIAM8, THOMAS7, THOMAS6, THOMAS5, THOMAS4 HAW, THOMAS3, JOHN2, RICHARD OR WILLIAM1 DE HAW) was born Bef. 1640, and died November 11, 1701 in Barnstable, MA. He married DESIRE HOWLAND GORHAM October 07, 1661 in Barnstable, MA, daughter of CAPTAIN GORHAM and DESIRE HOWLAND,descendant of John Howland of the Mayflower.
Notes for JOHN HAWES:
John Hawes was born in Duxbury, MA before 1640. He, like his father, was a cutler. Because he was not treated as a minor (under 21 years of age) on March 5, 1660 when he was put on trial in Plymouth, MA court for the murder of his friend Joseph Rogers, he was probably born between 1635 and 1640. Joseph Robers, Jr. of Eastham, MA lived in Duxbury, had a friendly wre stling match with John Hawes in Eastham on 25 December, 1640, which resulted in an injury tha t caused the death of Robers. John was acquitted at the trial of March 5, 1660.
John was married to Desire Howland Gorham just 7 months later in Barnstable, MA 07 Oct 1661 . Desire, the daughter of Captain John and Desire (Howland) Gorham, was born in Plymouth, M A April 2, 1644. She died in Yarmouth, MA 30 June 1700. Her mother, Desire (Howland) Gorham , was the daughter of John Howland who came from England on the Mayflower in 1620.
On 31 October 1682, John was appointed an Ensign of the Yarmouth military company. About 170 0 he became captain of the company and was called that thereafter. John was the Barnstable t own treasurer from 1695 to 1698. He was chosen a representative in the Legislature at Boston , MA in 1697 and 1698. He died in Barnstable 11 November 1701, from the effect of having hi s leg amputated. The record does not indicate whether or not it was because of an accident o r disease.
John's will was dated 15 October 1701 and proved 19 November 1701. His estate consisted of 5 75 pounds and 11 pence.
Will of John Hawes
In the nameof God Amen the fifteenth day of October 1701 In the thirteenth year of the Reig h of William the third by the Grace of God King of England etc. I, John hawes of the Town o f Yarmouth in the County of Barnestable In New England being by the hand of god brought ver y low and weake in body but of good and perfect memory thanks be to god and knowing the under tainty of this Life on Earth do make this my Last will and Testament. In manner and forme fo llowing Revoaking anulling and by these presents making void all Wills by me formerly made an d declare and appoint this my Last Will and Testament and first I committ my soule to god hop ing for the ful and free pardon of my sins by the death and merits of jesus Christ my only Re deemer and my body to the earth from whence it was taken to be buryed in such decent and Chri stian manner as my executors hereafter named shall be thought meet and convenient and for th e setteing of my temporallestate and all such Lands goods chattels and debts as it hath pleas ed god to bestow upon me I do order and give & dispose In manner and form following that is t o say first I will that all these debts and dutys that I owe in Right or conscience to my per son whatsoever shall be and will be truly paid by my execuitors hereafter named?
Itm I give and bequeaty unto my son Isaac all my dwelling house and brn together with one ac re of Land where and upon which the sd houseing stand and so to be set forth as may be most e onvenient thereto To have and to hold unto him the sd Isaac his heirs and assigns forever Exc epting and Reserving to my two unmarried daughters desire and experience lyberty to dwell i n the eastmost end of my dwelling house and to have the benefitt of the chimney for firing s o much as is needfull for them to enjoy it so long as they have need att the discression of m y overseers hereafter named and it is my will that my sd son Isaac do peaceably allow them t o enjoy the same.
It. I do give and bequeth to my son Ebeneazer eight acres of my land at the west side next t o John Hallets foure acres thereof to be laid forth below the highway and it shall extend fro m the fences next to the highway north to the creek yt bounds my meadow next to Major Thacher s and the other foure acres he shall have laid out to him of my land above the sd highway an d that shall Run from the fence next the sd waye to ye head of my last creek and he shal an d may drye and make the fother he cutts of the same upon the drying ground on the knowles s o that he use or make use of but one thrid part thereof which sd land meadow and premises sha ll be to him my sd son Ebenezer his heirs assigns To have and To hold forever.
It I give and bequeath and give unto my two sons Joseph and Isaac all the rest of my land an d meadow to be equally divided betwixt them that is to say Joseph shall have halfe of my lan d and meadow except what is disposed as above sd. To have and to hold for him and his heir s and assigns forever and Isaac shall havethe other halfe of my land and meadow except as afo resd To have and to hold to him and his heirs and assigns forever.
It I do give and bequeath unto my daughter desire my second best bed bolster and other furnit ure thereto belonging
It I do give and bequeath unto my Daughter Experience one good cow.
It I do give to my son Joseph my long gun or fowling piece and my other two guns. I give tom y sonEbenezer and the other to my son Isaac and my gold ring I give to my son Joseph and my a ne.
I do give to my daughter Mary Bacon my small gold ring.
I give and bequeath to my two sons John and Benjamin and my foure daughters Elizabeth Dogget t and Mary Bacon Desire and Experience all the Rest of my movable estate all my Debts and fun erall charges being first paid out of it both within doors and without all what nature kind o r Quality soever it is to be equally divided each one of them a like share or part thereof, a s also such debts are due and owing to me from any person whatsoever shall also be divided a s above sd
Lastly I do nominate ordaine and appoint my two sons Joseph and Isaac Joynt executors to thi s my last Will and testament I also Request and loving brothers Major John Goreham and John T hacher Esq. to be overseers to see the true execution of the Will. In Witness whereof I hav e Heeunto Sett my hand and sealethe day and year above written.
Signed sealed and declare John Hawes (seale)
In presence of us Witnesses
The inventory of his estate totaled 629 pounds, 8 shilling and 4 pence, including debts due , of which 300 pounds was real estate, 41 pounds for 2 Negro girls and 4 pounds for an India n boy. Livestock was valued at 95 poudns, 26 shilling and 6 pence, consisting of 6 oxen, 1 5 cows, 29 young cattle and half a yearling plus 2 horses, 1 mare and 8 swine.
Children of JOHN HAWES and DESIRE GORHAM are:
i. ELIZABETH12 HAWES, b. October 05, 1662.
ii. MARY HAWES, b. June 10, 1664.
iii. EDMOND HAWES, b. May 02, 1669.
12. iv. JOHN HAWES, b. May 14, 1671, Yarmouth, MA; d. December 27, 1723.
v. JOSEPH HAWES, b. July 16, 1673.
vi. JABEZ HAWES, b. May 20, 1675.
vii. EBENEZER HAWES, b. May 24, 1678.
viii. ISAAC HAWES, b. March 24, 1678/79.
ix. DESIRE HAWES, b. February 1680/81.
x. BENJAMIN HAWES, b. March 20, 1681/82.
xi. EXPERIENCE HAWES, b. September 24, 1686.
Generation No. 12
12. JOHN12 HAWES(JOHN11, EDMOND10, EDMOND9, WILLIAM8, THOMAS7, THOMAS6, THOMAS5, THOMAS4 HAW, THOMAS3, JOHN2, RICHARD OR WILLIAM1 DE HAW) was born May 14, 1671 in Yarmouth, MA, and died December 27, 1723. He married (1) MARY (EDMOND?) 1688. He married (2) MARY MASON November 26, 1723.
Notes for JOHN HAWES:
He was a shoemaker and innkeeper
Children of JOHN HAWES and MARY (EDMOND?) are:
i. EDMOND13 HAWES.
13. ii. JOHN HAWES, b. Abt. 1700, Rhode Island.
Generation No. 13
13. JOHN13 HAWES(JOHN12, JOHN11, EDMOND10, EDMOND9, WILLIAM8, THOMAS7, THOMAS6, THOMAS5, THOMAS4 HAW, THOMAS3, JOHN2, RICHARD OR WILLIAM1 DE HAW) was born Abt. 1700 in Rhode Island. He married MARY January 31, 1721/22 in North Kingston, Rhode Island.
Notes for JOHN HAWES:
John Hawes was born in RI ca. 1700. He was a carpenter then an innkeeper in Providence, RI wh ere he was chosen a constable 03 June 1723. He moved to NC about 1731, then to Onslow County , NC in 1747. He was in the NC militia in 1754. John was called John SR, in NC records. I n New Hanover Co., NC Court minutes 14 March 1738, a deed was signed over by Maurice Moore, E sq. To John Haws; proved by Jno. Porter, Esq. In the Feb. Term 1741, John Haws signs a deed to John Jones, proved by John Herring (Alexander McDonald Walker, New Hanover County, NC Court Minutes, Part 1, 1738/69 (Bethesda, MD 1959; 9, 31. )
Children of JOHN HAWES and MARY are:
i. JOHN14 HAWES, b. August 30, 1725.
ii. MARY HAWES, b. August 31, 1727, Providence.
14. iii. EDMOND HAWES, b. 1730-1735, Cape Fear region, NC; d. 1788.
Generation No. 14
14. EDMOND14 HAWES(JOHN13, JOHN12, JOHN11, EDMOND10, EDMOND9, WILLIAM8, THOMAS7, THOMAS6, THOMAS5, THOMAS4 HAW, THOMAS3, JOHN2, RICHARD OR WILLIAM1 DE HAW) was born 1730-1735 in Cape Fear region, NC, and died 1788. He married MARTHA HERRING Abt. 1761, daughter of JOHN HERRING and REBECCA LOFTIN.
Children of EDMOND HAWES and MARTHA HERRING are:
i. EDMOND15 HAWES.
ii. JOHN HAWES, b. 1763.
15. iii. SAMUEL HAWES, b. 1775; d. 1816, New Hanover County, North Carolina.
iv. ALEXANDER HAWES, b. 1780.
Generation No. 15
15. SAMUEL15 HAWES(EDMOND14, JOHN13, JOHN12, JOHN11, EDMOND10, EDMOND9, WILLIAM8, THOMAS7, THOMAS6, THOMAS5, THOMAS4 HAW, THOMAS3, JOHN2, RICHARD OR WILLIAM1 DE HAW) was born 1775, and died 1816 in New Hanover County, North Carolina. He married ANN JULIA DAVIS, daughter of FRANCIS DAVIS (American Revolution) and TABITHA DEVANE.
Notes for ANN JULIA DAVIS:
1850 Wilmington, New Hanover County, NC census p371a Age 471860 Wilmington, New Hanover County, NC census p471b Age 54
Children of SAMUEL HAWES and ANN DAVIS are:
i. WILLIAM DAVIS16 HAWES, b. 1797.
ii. ALEXANDER THOMAS HAWES, b. 1800.
Notes for ALEXANDER THOMAS HAWES:
Alexander Thomas was under the guardianship of Owen Owens in November 1818. (Lilllian Reeve s Wyatt, The Reeves, Mercer and Newkirk Families)
iii. ANN D HAWES, b. 1801.
iv. MARY CATHERINE HAWES, b. July 04, 1803, New Hanover County, North Carolina; d. March 26, 1888, Franklin Township, Sampson County, North Carolina; m. BRYAN NEWKIRK, 1820.
Notes for MARY CATHERINE HAWES:
Raymond Gordon Hawes, Edmond Hawes and His American Descendants: Edmond Hawes (1608-1683) o f Yarmouth, Massachusetts and Some of His American Descendants Through Thirteen Generations , Baltimore Maryland, Gateway Press, Inc., 2000.
Mary "Molly" Catherine Hawes was born in New Hanover County, NC 04 July 1803
Notes for BRYAN NEWKIRK:
1 AUTH Duplin County Wills, 1730-1860
"Bryan Newkirk was a farmer with real estate valued at $15,000 in 1850. In his will of 02 April, 1863, Bryan bequeathed 96 named slaves plus their un-named younger children, well over 100 in total. Bryan died in Sampson county, NC July 8, 1863 and is buried there. Mary died in Sampson County 26 March 1888 and is also buried there. Much of the data about this family is attributed to Lillian Reeves Wyatt, The Reeves, Mercer, Newkirk Families (Jacksonville , Florida) 1956: 284, 290-304." Raymond Hawes (Edmond Hawes and his Descendants)
v. JOHN R. HAWES, b. 1806, NC.
vi. FRANCIS HAWES, b. 1808, NC.
vii. TABITHA EVELINE HAWES, b. 1814.
viii. JULIA ELIZA HAWES, b. 1815, NC.