Possible Mayflower connection to the Dowling line?
Teri Towe once told me that his grandmother (Carrow Dowling) told him her mother (Lizzie Wells Dowling) told her that the Dowlings were descendants of the Mayflower through their "Lawson line." I located at last a Lawson and it looks like we are one generation away from the Mayflower in Salem, Massachusettes. What is the connection????
Cecily, Phil, Brooke and Pat Ramsey with Teri Towe in New York
Generation No. 1
1. ALICE1 LAWSON was born Abt. 1621 in in SALEM, MIDDLESEX, MA, and died 1687 in in READING, MIDDLESEX COUNTY, MA. She married (1) WILLIAM COWDERY. She married (2) JAMES BOUTWELL January 26, 1629/30 in in Salem, Middlesex County, Massachusetts.
Child of ALICE LAWSON and JAMES BOUTWELL is:
2. i. JAMES2 BOUTWELL.
Generation No. 2
2. JAMES2 BOUTWELL (ALICE1 LAWSON). He married REBECCA KENDALL, daughter of THOMAS KENDALL and REBECCA PAINE.
Child of JAMES BOUTWELL and REBECCA KENDALL is:
3. i. JAMES3 BOUTWELL.
Generation No. 3
3. JAMES3 BOUTWELL (JAMES2, ALICE1 LAWSON). He married ELIZABETH FROTHINGHAM, daughter of SAMUEL FROTHINGHAM and RUTH GEORGE.
Child of JAMES BOUTWELL and ELIZABETH FROTHINGHAM is:
4. i. SAMUEL4 BOUTWELL, b. March 19, 1702/03.
Generation No. 4
4. SAMUEL4 BOUTWELL (JAMES3, JAMES2, ALICE1 LAWSON) was born March 19, 1702/03. He married ANNA MARGAREITA SPRUILL.
Child of SAMUEL BOUTWELL and ANNA SPRUILL is:
5. i. BURTONHEAD5 BOUTWELL, b. 1736, of Welsh descent; d. 1776, CRAVEN COUNTY, SC.
Generation No. 5
5. BURTONHEAD5 BOUTWELL(SAMUEL4, JAMES3, JAMES2, ALICE1 LAWSON) was born 1736 in of Welsh descent, and died 1776 in CRAVEN COUNTY, SC. He married ELIZABETH COMMANDER, daughter of SAMUEL COMMANDER and ELIZABETH.
Children of BURTONHEAD BOUTWELL and ELIZABETH COMMANDER are:
6. i. MARY6 BOUTWELL.
7. ii. NANCY BOUTWELL, b. 1763, Virginia; d. Jeffries Creek, S.C..
Generation No. 6
6. MARY6 BOUTWELL(BURTONHEAD5, SAMUEL4, JAMES3, JAMES2, ALICE1 LAWSON). She married JAMES DOWLING , AMERICAN REVOLUTION, son of ROBERT DOWLING and SARAH GUINN.
Children of MARY BOUTWELL and JAMES DOWLING are:
i. SALLIE7 DOWLING.
ii. POLLIE DOWLING.
iii. LETTIE DOWLING.
7. NANCY6 BOUTWELL (BURTONHEAD5, SAMUEL4, JAMES3, JAMES2, ALICE1 LAWSON) was born 1763 in Virginia, and died in Jeffries Creek, S.C.. She married JOHN DOWLING , AMERICAN REVOLUTION 1783, son of ROBERT DOWLING and SARAH GUINN.
Notes for NANCY BOUTWELL:
BURIAL: first buried in the Zion Methodist Cemetery in Dale Co., AL, then to the Ebenezer-Zio n Cemetery in Dale Co., AL and has now been moved to the Claybank Cemetery in Ozark, Dale Co. , AL.
Notes for JOHN DOWLING , AMERICAN REVOLUTION:
1 AUTH disappeared from rolls 1782
1 AGNC Guerilla with "Swamp Fox" Francis Marion with brother James and father.
Children of NANCY BOUTWELL and JOHN DOWLING are:
i. ELIAS7 DOWLING, m. (1) MARY; m. (2) ELIZABETH STEWART.
ii. LYDIA ANN DOWLING, m. JOHN STOKES.
iii. ZACHEUS DOWLING, m. (1) ELIZA; m. (2) ZADIE CAPP; m. (3) PERMELIA HEAD.
iv. ALLEN DOWLING, m. POLLY HEATH.
v. RHODA DOWLING, m. HENRY STOKES.
vi. SIMEON DOWLING.
vii. LEVI DOWLING, m. ANN.
viii. JEMIMA DOWLING, m. BENJAMIN HILDRETH.
8. ix. DEMPSEY DOWLING , REV. AMERICAN REVOLUTION, b. December 14, 1783, Jeffries Creek, Darlington District, SC; d. April 28, 1865, Claybank Cemetery, Dale County, Alabama.
Generation No. 7
8. DEMPSEY7 DOWLING , REV. AMERICAN REVOLUTION (NANCY6 BOUTWELL, BURTONHEAD5, SAMUEL4, JAMES3, JAMES2, ALICE1 LAWSON) was born December 14, 1783 in Jeffries Creek, Darlington District, SC, and died April 28, 1865 in Claybank Cemetery, Dale County, Alabama. He married MARTHA STOKES, daughter of JOHN STOKES and NANCY VICKERS.
Notes for DEMPSEY DOWLING , REV. AMERICAN REVOLUTION:
1 AUTH Mar 1st, 1826 crossed Chattahoochee at Ft. Gaines
1 AGNC began new life in Alabama at Richmond
1 DEST 111 grandchildren
1 MEDI 42 preachers descended
Notes for MARTHA STOKES:
1 AUTH when died proclaimed, Glory, Glory, My room is filled with a heavenly light.
from A Dowling Family of the South: R.A. Dowlin
The day before she died she appeared to be in better health than usual. After eating a hearty supper she and Dempsey and a few of the grandchildren joined in family prayer. A short time after retiring, she aroused her companion by giving signs of the arm, and a few minutes after, she sank in the arms of death. As she went she shouted, "Glory,glory", and told those present that she would soon be in heaven; that "my room is full of heavenly light."
She was an affectionate mother, a dutiful and kind wife, a generous mistress. She raised fourteen children of whom two are Methodist preachers. At her burial there were 108 of her descendants present.
Children of DEMPSEY DOWLING and MARTHA STOKES are:
i. MILLIE (TW)8 DOWLING, m. WILLIAM COX.
ii. ELIZABETH (TW) DOWLING.
iii. LACY DOWLING, m. ELISHA MATTHEWS.
iv. NOEL DOWLING, m. SARAH D. MCDONALD.
v. FLETCHER DOWLING, m. CAROLINE MARTIN.
vi. ZILLIH DOWLING, m. SAMUEL H. HALLFORD.
vii. MARTHA DOWLING, m. EMMANUEL PARRISH.
9. viii. JOHN DOWLING, b. July 29, 1818, Jeffries Creek, S.C.; d. February 28, 1900, Alabama, Claybank Cemetery.
10. ix. EDWARD DOWLING, b. 1820, Jeffries Creek SC; d. May 21, 1906.
Generation No. 8
9. JOHN8 DOWLING(DEMPSEY7, NANCY6 BOUTWELL, BURTONHEAD5, SAMUEL4, JAMES3, JAMES2, ALICE1 LAWSON) was born July 29, 1818 in Jeffries Creek, S.C., and died February 28, 1900 in Alabama, Claybank Cemetery. He married CHARLOTTE BRACKIN January 10, 1841, daughter of ISAAC BRACKIN and RACHEL STALCOP.
Children of JOHN DOWLING and CHARLOTTE BRACKIN are:
i. SAMUEL LAWSON9 DOWLING, m. SARAH J. WINDHAM.
ii. ELISHA MATHIAS C. DOWLING, m. TANSY J. BRITT.
iii. LACY ANN LUIZA DOWLING, m. JOHN C. PARKER.
iv. NANCY JANE DOWLING, m. JOHN F. MCDONALD.
v. JARRETT MALONE DOWLING, m. ELLA CRIS.
vi. LOUIS LAWRENCE DOWLING, m. IDA CONNELLY.
vii. JOHN PARROTT DOWLING.
viii. GEORGE WASHINGTON DOWLING, m. MOLLIE CARROLL.
11. ix. NOEL BAXTER DOWLING, b. August 15, 1853, Ozark, Alabama Dale County; d. March 28, 1915, Alabama, buried at Claybank Cemetery.
10. EDWARD8 DOWLING (DEMPSEY7, NANCY6 BOUTWELL, BURTONHEAD5, SAMUEL4, JAMES3, JAMES2, ALICE1 LAWSON) was born 1820 in Jeffries Creek SC, and died May 21, 1906. He married ANNA OATES October 24, 1841, daughter of STEPHEN OATES and ELIZABETH SHIPP.
Child of EDWARD DOWLING and ANNA OATES is:
i. LIZZIE9 DOWLING, b. October 21, 1846, Ozark, Alabama; d. December 14, 1916, Nagadoches, TX.
Generation No. 9
11. NOEL BAXTER9 DOWLING(JOHN8, DEMPSEY7, NANCY6 BOUTWELL, BURTONHEAD5, SAMUEL4, JAMES3, JAMES2, ALICE1 LAWSON) was born August 15, 1853 in Ozark, Alabama Dale County, and died March 28, 1915 in Alabama, buried at Claybank Cemetery. He married ELIZABETH WELLS (LIZZIE E. WELLS) May 1874, daughter of EBEN WELLS and TAMSEY JOHNSON.
Notes for NOEL BAXTER DOWLING:
Ramsey house on Alice Street was town house for Pinckard residence for Noel Dowling.
Children of NOEL DOWLING and ELIZABETH WELLS) are:
i. RAY A.10 DOWLING, m. CONA ALENE YORK.
ii. HEYWOOD HART DOWLING.
iii. LOTTIE BEA DOWLING, m. CHARLES D. MURPHY , SR..
iv. CORA LEE DOWLING, b. 1877, Ozark, Al Dale County; d. Dothan, Alabama, City Cemetery; m. RICHARD HAWTHORNE RAMSEY, June 1966.
Notes for CORA LEE DOWLING:
1 AUTH Dothan, August 28, 1958
Notes for RICHARD HAWTHORNE RAMSEY:
1 AUTH bookkeeper for railroad
1 AGNC moved to Dothan June 8, 1988
v. CARROW DEE DOWLING, b. June 30, 1879, Ozark, Alabama; d. August 15, 1963, Jacksonville, Florida; m. CHARLES ERVIN MCCARN , JR., June 17, 1902, Alabama.